Getting a new computer is very good, but the thought of having to move your files, data, pictures, videos, programs, game settings among others can really be stressful.
One of the main reasons why most things like videos, music and documents can be copied manually and software cannot, is mainly because Windows writes some certain keys to the computer registry when a program is installed and these programs automatically make associations with some already installed programs for proper functioning.
The most preferable solution to having your old files back is to have a Transfer and backup software. The secure way when Windows Vista was still active was Windows Easy Transfer (WET) but it is no longer in use as hardly do people use the Vista version of windows.
However, alternatives to program files mover software are listed below and are considered the top three in the market.
Best software to transfer program files for Windows PC users
The Zinstall WinWin is one of the major software used in transferring program files from one Windows PC to another, the Zinstall WinWin software transfers all the files you select from your old computer to the new one. The tool allows the transfer of all files including program, music, documents, videos, emails, settings, and accounts making your new computer feel like the old one without making any adjustment to any file transferred.
Zinstall WinWin is compatible to work with Windows 10, 8/8.1/7/XP and also Vista, so also is any edition either 32 or 64-bit. Same windows transfer is also allowed and other PC models transfer. Modified to keep connected computers on the same LAN to work together and can also work if the two computers are connected by a LAN cable.
The main reason why Zinstall is mostly accepted worldwide is based on accuracy and compatibility with all devices and models. Unlike other file transfer application software, the Zinstall WinWin software completely replicates the environment of your previous PC on the new one perfectly depending on what you select for transfer though.
Below are steps involved in having your files backed up safe and secure by the Zinstall WinWin software:
- Try downloading the Zinstall WinWin software from the official website.
- After downloading, run Zinstall WinWin on the current computer (the one files are being transferred from).
- No configurations needed, as long as both computers are on the same network.
- Click the Advanced menu to select the files you want to be transferred, and if you want everything transferred you need not go to the advanced menu.
- Click ‘Go’ on the computer and transfer will automatically begin simple and easy.
EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro
Migrating files with the EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro is very easy, you can migrate files, programs and also move along their settings from one PC to another irrespective of the brand. EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro is a unique brand that was developed to solve most transfer issues related to moving files, with the tool you can choose to move certain files and program along with their settings.
It is a free application and also a window data migration software which can easily migrate the whole system files with just one click. Below are guides to using the EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro:
- Install EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro on both Windows PC; ensure they are on the same LAN.
- Run EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro on both of the windows and then select the PC you want to transfer to.
- If the EaseUS Todo PCTrans Pro cannot detect the other PC enter the IP address.
- Afterwards, select the program you want to be transferred along with the data and destination path.
- Then click transfer.
- Wait for the process to be completed
This is a free application software and also portable, it can help you quickly transfer individual programs along with their already placed settings and data simple and easy. This software backs up the selected program files you want alongside their data and settings and then reinstalling it completely on another computer. The two computers don’t have to be on the same network, it will reinstall all programs executable and other related settings and registry keys.
Getting the PickMeApp is easy, but because the software still in beta version, it is required to sign up on the site and then a download link will be sent to your mail. The URL in this email will lead you to the download site. What makes it handy and widely portable is that you can easily take the folder anywhere and run it from the folder itself without having to install it every time.
Below are steps to installing the PickMeApp to help you transfer your program files from one window PC to another:
- Install PickMeApp from the official website
- Agree to the terms and conditions
- On the left column, the display will present a view of all installed programs on the computer while the right column shows programs compatible with the PickMeApp.
- To back up any program along with data and settings, select and then check it in the left column, thereafter you can click the capture button.
All files compatible can be installed with just a single click. Backup processes can take time depending on the size of program files being backed up.
In addition, the PickMeApp would automatically create a .tap backup file in the download section of the computer; hence, the .tap backup file can be taken anywhere and installed on any PC window without any alteration.
Most of the easy transfers are usually photos, music, videos, documents, but programs are difficult to move if the right software tools are not in place. In general, it highly considered that if perhaps this software fails, and you were not able to recover some of your programs it advisable to just reinstall the program to avoid altering any other part of the system.
Daniel Segun is a Content Writer, Web Developer, and Graphics Designer with over 6 years experience. He has been featured on popular publications such as Windows Report, Techgenix, Skyose, OgbongeBlog, InfoGuideNigeria, and more. We he isn’t writing, he’s probably busy playing Football Manager game.